8 Common Mistakes When Moving Internationally
What NOT to do when moving internationally:
- Using an unlicensed freight forwarder when you’re moving internationally. Access the list of licensed freight forwarders (OTI – Ocean Transportation Intermediaries) on the Federal Maritime commission’s website. (Read: Why your NVOCC should be FMC-licensed)
- Failing to read the contract/estimate before signing or paying for the overseas move. Read the fine print!
- Not having all the required documents to facilitate your ocean freight shipment
- Not knowing the import rules and regulations of your destination country
- Not understanding the difference between the two types of insurance: At Risk and Total Loss
- Not having a reputable destination shipping agent
- Not being sure whether the truck picking up/delivering your belongings can access your street or building
- Not doing enough research. Find people that have experienced similar international moves. Look for information on the internet; there are plenty of useful resources available online!
— iContainersUS (@icontainers_usa) July 4, 2016