What documents do you need for an international move?
In order for us to handle your ocean freight shipment for your international move, there are certain documents you need to provide:
- Packing list: This is a detailed list of the contents in each package, with their weights and dimensions clearly indicated. The packing list must be as accurate as possible to avoid problems with customs clearance. Should a problem arise, you may face delays, which could result in additional delay costs that will add to your overall shipment price.
- Power of attorney: This is a document that authorizes us to clear customs on your behalf. We will send you this document for you to sign and return back to us.
- Terms & Conditions: These are conditions under which your international move will take place. It’s extremely important that you give this document a thorough read to fully understand it in order to avoid any problems during shipping. We will send you this document for you to sign and return back to us.
- Copy of your ID
- Copy of your passport
Documents needed for an international move with a car
If you’re shipping your car together with your household goods, there are certain additional documents that you will need to provide. These vary depending on the port from which you will be shipping your household goods. But in general, these are the main documents you will be required to produce:
- Original title or Salvage title
- Import permit/exemption certificate: Certain countries impose restrictions on the import of vehicles. This could depend on the age or type of the vehicle or the nationality of the person trying to import the vehicle.
Keep in mind that the vehicle owner must be the same person who makes the shipping reservation, that is, the shipper (the person responsible for the export).
Also check with the consulate, customs office, or shipping agent at destination for restrictions on vehicle shipping at your destination country. For more information on the documents required for the shipment of cars, you may refer to our article on US customs paperwork for auto transport.
For more great tips and advice for your overseas move, do check out and like our Facebook page.